Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Why so Serious!

Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was....a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. Turns to me and he says "Why so serious?" Comes at me with the knife,"Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth. "Lets put a smile on that face!" And..... Why so serious?

These lines have been immortalized by late Heath Ledger and like millions around the world, I decided to right about them in this blog. About these lines, about his performance and above all - Joker!

The lines are simply awesome, moreso as they are so ironic. In direct conflict with what they actually mean! Heath Ledger delivers a performance that I personally think is THE best performance i have seen anyone delivering onscreen. He evokes that tickling feeling when he goes on rampage. A feeling that probably your animal side enjoys while watching the Joker. I dunno if I am the only one who enjoyed what he was doing on screen so much.. Ripping apart people, burning money just for fun. Fun, sure he had and so did I! And loads of it!

With his whole face covered in color, somehow you know what expressions he has. You just know it. The brilliance of his performance lies in that. And when he describes why he kills with a knife and not a gun, he reaches his zenith. I almost felt I too needed to know a few of my friends better! ;) Those of you who haven't understood my last line, go watch the movie "The Dark Knight".

But what sets this movie apart is the subtle acknowledgment that its the good that completes the bad. Its the Gods who compliment the Devil and vice-versa. Had there been no good, perhaps there wouldn't have been any bad either.

Poor Raj Kapoor, for he could never imagine what all a Joker could do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post.

I can't wait to get it released in Pakistan.

Nilanjan said...

Why does the joker have those scars ... he tells a different story each time ... It's like he does not have a reason for them.

Like he does not have a reason for doing what he does ... he does it on impulse ... not bound by the rules of an ordered world ... he is an agent of chaos